Before leaving for your trip, you will need to ensure that you organize your travel documents well in advance, especially your passport and travel visa. It is important to check with your host country’s embassy or consulate regarding their specific regulations for passport validity and visa requirements.

Some things to remember:

  • Ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the destination country
  • Apply for a visa if applicable
  • Check if you need a medical exam
  • Read through the Global Affairs Country Travel Reports and Advisories website (formerly known as DFATD) for your country

Your Passport

Before departing, you will need to ensure that your passport is valid for six months beyond your date of departure. If you are unsure, it is a good idea to check with your host country’s embassy or consulate regarding their regulations. In most cases, you cannot apply for a visa without a valid passport. For more information about passports, visit the Passport Canada website.

Click here to expand the presentation.

Visa Requirements

Some countries have specific visa requirements. You should research you host country’s visa requirements well in advance of your trip.

Click here to expand the presentation.

Medical exam certificate

Be aware that some countries may require that you have a medical examination or certain vaccinations before entry. Check with your host country’s embassy or consulate or the Global Affairs Travel Advisory website (formerly known as DFATD) for more details. To learn more about vaccinations, check out the Physical Health section of the Health and Wellness module.

Vaccinations and Certificates

It is vitally important to review vaccination requirements and suggestions with your family physician or a travel clinic (such as Vancouver Coastal Health) prior to your departure, particularly if you intend to study in a tropical environment. Currently the only vaccination that can be required by law is for yellow fever. However, there are a number of other vaccinations that can help make your study abroad experience a healthy one. Vaccinations should be recorded on an International Certificate of Vaccination card, available from passport offices, which should be signed by a medical official at the time of the vaccination.

ISIC Card for Travelers

UBC suggests that students obtain an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), the only internationally accepted proof of full-time student status. Students can take advantage of countless benefits and discounts with their ISIC card while abroad. For more information about the ISIC card and to learn how to get one, visit the ISIC website.