In your planning to go abroad, you will need to consider your travel logistics, finances, and accommodation. Consider the reservations and arrangements you will need to make prior to your departure to ensure that your arrival and stay abroad will run as smoothly as possible.
Some things to remember:
- Inform your bank that you will be leaving the country for an extended period of time
- Research and apply for awards or bursaries to help offset the costs of your study abroad experience
- Research methods of payment in your host country
- Arrange your accommodation prior to leaving on your trip
- Plan and book your travel to your host country
Click here to expand the presentation.
ISIC Card for Travelers
UBC suggests that students obtain an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), the only internationally accepted proof of full-time student status. Students can take advantage of countless benefits and discount with their ISIC card while abroad. For more information about the ISIC card and to learn how to get one, visit the ISIC website.
Some programs will provide housing but others will not. You may need to arrange your own accommodation prior to leaving on your trip. Plan your short-term accommodation upon arrival to your destination and any additional overseas travel you may do prior to departure.
Begin your search early! Find out as much as you can about the neighbourhood you will be staying in and the local transportation services. Your host university or organization may be able to make recommendations, so look on the institution’s exchange website for accommodation suggestions.